Thursday, May 14, 2009

What kind of bird is this feather from?



What kind of bird is this feather from? It is so pretty and it seems to have nested in an old mud barn swallow nest from last year in our barn. It looks closest to a spotted owl feather but they are not supposed to be here in SC. Do you know what kind of bird this beautiful polka dot feather is from?
follow-up:
I'm going to have to take a picture of the nest. It is very small. About the size of your hands cupped together and on the roof of the barn. It is very close to the roof and doesn't look like there would be room for a large bird as big as a guineafowl.
I will post pictures later of the nest. I may have to take a ladder to the barn to do so. I'm wondering if it could be an owl that is raiding a barn swallow nest. Humm! More to follow hopefully. The barn swallows still seem to be coming and going out of the barn.

2 comments:

Kate said...

This is a Guinea fowl feather

Brenda said...

I thought Guinea's had more of an oval shapped spot.
Asked the hubby, and he said Guinea too. Says if not, it would have to be some kind of ground fowl due to all the down on the feather.
I know I sure as heck don't know!